As a writer, I get inspiration from lots of sources, but one favorite is films, and the actors in them. While writing a series of Pride and Prejudice continuation novellas, I had one actor in mind as “my” Mr. Darcy: Colin Firth. Below are my top ten Colin Firth movies, perfect for summer viewing (or anytime!).
10. The Secret Garden (1987): This may be my favorite adaptation of the beloved book, but I haven't seen it in so long, I can’t be sure anymore. Firth’s role is very small, but he’ll be starring as Lord Craven in the upcoming adaptation, which I’m excited about!
9. Circle of Friends (1995): I also haven't seen this in awhile, but I most remember Alan Cumming playing someone smarmy in it. Firth’s role is minimal, but it’s a solid film based on the Maeve Binchy book.
8. Mary Poppins Returns (2018): My son and I saw this in the theatre last year. While we didn’t feel it lived up to the original, it’s fun to watch—and see Firth play somewhat against type.
7. Bridget Jones's Diary (2001): It's been awhile since I’ve seen this, but I remember enjoying Firth’s performance as straightlaced Mark Darcy.
6. Love, Actually (2003): While I usually watch this every year, I have mixed feelings about it. But I love the cast.
5. What a Girl Wants (2003): Cute teen movie, with an enjoyable cast.
4. Nanny McPhee (2005): Emma Thompson. Angela Lansbury. Colin Firth. Need I say more about this magical movie?
3. The Importance of Being Earnest (2002): I enjoy this lovely adaptation of the Oscar Wilde classic. Great cast, sparkling dialogue!
2. The King's Speech (2010): Excellent period drama about King George VI. Firth gives an amazing performance. I also love the brief reunion with his Pride and Prejudice co-star, Jennifer Ehle.
1. Pride and Prejudice (1995): To me, Firth is Darcy. This adaptation is one of my all-time favorite period dramas. Glorious set and costume design, wonderful cast and script. If you haven’t seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it!
Are you a Colin Firth fan? If so, what are your favorites of his films?
Love at Pemberley
On sale for $0.99 through July 31, 2019
Find love at Pemberley in four sweet novellas continuing the beloved story of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. In Most Truly, Kitty Bennet meets Colonel Fitzwilliam, who is most truly a gentleman, and truly knows he wants Kitty for his wife. Then Miss Darcy Decides for herself whether Sir Camden can be trusted. Miss Bennet Blooms finds Mary Bennet befriending botanist Nathaniel Bingley. And, it's Christmastide at Pemberley in Misunderstood—Miss Maria Lucas and Mr. Denny join the festivities as they all find their happily ever afters at Mr. Darcy's Pemberley.
Praise for the Love at Pemberley novellas
“A light and charming novella that impressed this Jane Austen aficionado.” ~M.E. Almaguer, Romantic Historical Reviews
“A wonderful afternoon read with a cuppa and a few iced tea biscuits....” ~Susanne Barrett of Meditative Meanderings
“It was a pleasure watching their romance bloom.” ~Long and Short Book Reviews
“The characters have the their true essence brought to life here. New characters are pleasantly complimentary to those existing ones as well. An easy flowing read that for any Jane fans is worth the time.” ~Margaret, Literary Chanteuse
Reina M. Williams writes sweet Austen-inspired and fairy tale romances. She loves period dramas, cooking, baking, and reading. She has a B.A. in History and did graduate study in English Literature. A California native, she lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her two sons, who hope to someday take a research trip to England with their mom.